LOYAL FOLLOWERS

Monday, October 4, 2010

Malkoff Hound Dog

First off, I want to mention that my friend Sarah Bananahammocks has posted a new P90X entry.  Check it out!

Next, I`m going to briefly talk about the Malkoff Hound Dog flashlight.  And sorry about the apostrophes, I`m on a silly french keyboard.

Seen in the CENTER.  Left is a Malkoff MD2, right is a Malkoff Wild Cat, both of which will be covered in later reviews.
Now, this is a flashlight offered by Malkoff Devices, visible here (and I know it`s sold out, but more on that in a second).
This is the Malkoff Devices "Hound Dog" Flashlight.  The output is 325 (measured) Out The Front Lumens.  It was designed primarily for throw (reach) and will easily illuminate objects at 1000+ feet.  The Flashlight has an approximate 7 degree beam with good spill.  The LED is a Cree XP-G.  The reflector was custom designed by Don McLeish for this flashlight.  It has a High/Low function accessed by head rotation.  The low output is approximately 40-60 lumens depending on batteries used. 
 As above, the light`s putting out 325 out-the-front lumens, which is EXTREMELY bright.  All of Malkoff`s lights come with the warning that you can cause eye damage at close range.

This light is built more for throw than for spill, but as you can see below, it does an alright job of illuminating the surroundings as well.
The light isn`t overly large, either, given it`s tremendous output.  It runs on three CR123 primary cells, but can also use two 18500 Lithium Ion rechargeables, should you choose to go that route, with the CR123`s providing a longer runtime than the rechargeables.

Wildcat MD4 top, Hound Dog MD3 next, then an MD2 head with MD3 body, and finally a turnkey MD2.
And I say that 3 CR123`s are required, but the beauty of a Regulated flashlight is that the output doesn`t change, only the runtime is influenced by how many batteries are used - so the Hound Dog can be run on an MD2 body (two CR123`s or one 18650 rechargeable), an MD3 body (three CR123`s or two 18500`s), or an MD4 body (four CR123`s or two 18650`s), all of which are available directly from Malkoff Devices as options.

Take your pick, but it`s a beautiful light!

48 comments:

  1. Glad I popped by =D

    Your blogs coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those are really bright for being so small. I bet they're expensiiiive

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are cool. i have one i wasnt able to find anythgin about. i bought i at a big lots and it eas called the weather channel entened range or somehtign led flashlight and it is great. you can point it upwards and follow it intom the nigt sky

    ReplyDelete
  4. niiice :) these must produce some proper light ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like an awesome flashlight !

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to see that you're beating inertia today :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks nice, it's rediculous how many times I've had issues with my flashlight D: Maybe I'll buy one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you maybe put some common item up near the flashlights? I don't know if you are taking the photos or not, but even when you list the dimensions its always easier to have a visual comparison.
    Just a meager request. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I personally use some of these flashlights myself, they're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I can`t touch a pen to a pad of paper without drawing a dick, so I`m easily impressed by the work of others"

    Casspir, I violently lost control of my bowels reading that. That's how hard I laughed, mate. It was devastating, considering I'm visiting my mother. Thank you... Lmao, thank you for the lovely compliment. As always, your light knowledge blows me away, but I've been studying my friend, as promised.

    The pictures you have up both have very nice -throw-, don't they? I know... It's pitiful, but I'm learning as I go. Keep up the awesome blog mate, its a unique idea and I love watching it evolve. I'll talk to you soon, mate.

    -JKane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some hardcore flashlights

    ReplyDelete
  12. whoah looks like that works good... will have to try to make this

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I just found out what flashlight I need to get. Thank you for this review as well as all of the other informative posts on the various types of flashlights and their application.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the picture where you compare the lights outside in the dark, if you could do that more often it would be great:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. they're a wonder to see in action.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh and thanks for comenting on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the gold flashlights. Looks like something lady gaga would use.

    I am Fickle Cattle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. never really had the need for a flashlight but its useful to have

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those look pretty awesome. Cool post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. looks like a good set, those the design for them are abit odd lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aw cool, Gordon Freeman needs a new flash light.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Them some bright flashlights, $155 bucks doesnt seem to bad for a light like that. The Wild Cat looks nuts I am looking forward to your review on that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are impressive.

    Do you take the pictures yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for your comments on my blog. Beating Inertia has a new Q&A post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Damn! In the picture that shows the flash light illuminating the yard/house area, it reminds me a little like a spotlight! I suppose the picture might exaggerate its brightness some, but still is rather impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  26. waw.. very nice.. those are very helpfull

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoyed your point of view in this post

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those are expensive but I'll be they last forever

    ReplyDelete
  29. I want some sweet LEDs like in the above flashlights! Do they sell parts?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I need to try this out sometime. looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I liked your perspective in this one... I'm going to have to agree with you

    ReplyDelete
  32. THanks for you comment, made me lol!

    ReplyDelete
  33. If i had to choose i'd go for the smallest one. Must be practical more than powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Do you own all these torches you post about?

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is great thanks, and keep up the good work.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete